GAME PREVIEW: Eagles Set To Open Clay Helton Era
Georgia Southern hosts Morgan State Saturday in lid-lifter to 2022 season
STATESBORO – The Georgia Southern football team opens up its 2022 campaign and the Clay Helton Era on Saturday when it hosts Morgan State at Allen E. Paulson Stadium. Kickoff is set for 6:02 p.m. and will be streamed online through ESPN3. The game will also be available via radio on the Georgia Southern Sports Network. Here’s all you need to know about the game:
Game 1: Saturday, Sept. 3, 2022 • 6 PM
Location: Statesboro, Ga. (Allen E. Paulson Stadium; 25,000)
Promotion: Night of Champions
Morgan State: 0-0, 0-0 MEAC
Georgia Southern: 0-0, 0-0 SBC
Broadcast: ESPN3 (online)
PBP: Danny Waugh; Analyst: Cole Neely; Sidelines: Emily Grace McWhorter
GS: GAME NOTES (PDF)
MSU: GAME NOTES
Inside The Series
Overall: First Meeting
- Georgia Southern and Morgan State have never met in football.
- Georgia Southern has played 10 previous games against current members of the Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference, winning all of those contests.
- The Eagles are 1-0 against Howard, 1-0 against North Carolina A&T and 8-0 against South Carolina State.
- The Eagles had a 27-game home winning streak against non-conference opponents ended last season when BYU picked up a win in Statesboro. Georgia Southern still posts a 124-17 all-time record at Paulson Stadium in non-conference contests.
- Georgia Southern has won 14 of its past 15 home openers and is 31-7-1 all-time in home openers (31-6 at Paulson Stadium). The last home opener the Eagles lost was in 2017 against Arkansas State.
Countdown to Kickoff
10: Ten Georgia Southern players on the 2022 roster are in their sixth year of eligibility. The Eagles even have one player (Todd Bradley-Glenn) in his seventh year of eligibility.
9: Nine of the 13 previous Georgia Southern head coaches (full-time or interim) in the modern era won their first game as the head man of the Eagles.
8: Khaleb Hood stands in a tie for eighth place in career receptions with 64.
7: Morgan State coach Damon Wilson has a 89-45 overall record for his career, winning seven CIAA Northern Division crowns while at Bowie State, and hasn’t lost more than three games in a season since 2016.
6: Georgia Southern has lost just six of 37 previous home openers at Allen E. Paulson Stadium, the last coming in 2017 to Arkansas State.
5: Dating back to the start of the 2018 season, Georgia Southern has lost just five of its past 28 games when having a 100-yard rusher.
4: Georgia Southern has one of the best home-field advantages in the FBS as the Eagles have an official NCAA record of 205-46 at Allen E. Paulson Stadium. That .817 winning percentage is the fourth best in the FBS.
3: Georgia Southern has played three other current MEAC teams, posting a 10-0 record.
2: The Eagles have only played two games in their modern history against teams from the State of Maryland, dropping a pair of games against Navy.
1: Georgia Southern head coach Clay Helton and Morgan State head coach Damon Wilson will both be coaching their first game at their new respective school on Saturday.
Sept. 10 at Nebraska – Lincoln, Neb. – 7:30 p.m. (ET)/6:30 p.m. (local) – FS1